Monday, March 17, 2014

D's Afghan

This past February I decided to make afghans for my nieces and nephews for Christmas. For my niece, D, I ordered a Stylecraft Special DK Colour Pack and decided that I'd look at the colors and decide what inspiration hit me. 


After trying several stitch patterns, I ended up choosing an old stand by, the crazy stitch. 

I love this stitch pattern. I love how it looks. It's easily memorized and I find it easy to do. It was the pattern that my mom used to make the one and only afghan she made just for me. And I used it when I made my daughter's baby blanket before she was born. The one she drags everywhere with her. 

I wrote out the pattern, including the stripe order for the colors. I'll post it here, just because I'm really loving how it's turning out.

D's Afghan

For a blanket approximately 48 inches wide.


Size F (4.0 mm) hook
Stylecraft Special DK Colour Pack
Abbreviations: dc = double crochet, sc = single crochet


My color order:
pomegranate
wisteria
aster
saffron
plum
sherbet
shrimp
spring green
lipstick
aspen
lavender
fondant
magenta
turquoise
clematis
meadow
cloud blue

Chain 240 or length desired. (Multiples of 3)
Row 1
3 dc in 4th chain from hook, * skip 3 chains, sc in next chain, chain 3, 3 dc in same chain. Repeat from * across row. End with sc in next chain.

Row 2

Chain 3 to turn. 3 dc in sc of previous row. * sc in next chain-3 space of previous row, chain 3, 3 dc in same chain-3 space. Repeat from * across row. End with sc in last chain-3 of previous row.

Repeat row 2, until desired length is reached.

Change colors every two rows.

When afghan is the desired length, bind off and then take the last color listed above (cloud blue) and stitch two rows of the pattern along the bottom of the afghan, then sc the side edges in a color of your choice following his pattern:

Sc in each sc and 3 sc in each ch 3



Here's how it looks so far:

I will keep posting updates and any changes/corrections to the pattern, but it's going along very well!

I'm happy with it. I love the colors even more than I expected. I thought it might be too much, but I think it'll be perfect!

1 comment:

  1. That's gorgeous! I love the pattern, and it's so sweet that it's from your mom and you made one for your baby girl. :)

    ReplyDelete